International Defensive Pistol Association, (IDPA Trinidad)
The International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) is the governing body of a shooting sport that simulates self-defense scenarios and real life encounters.
Who are we?IDPA Trinidad is a leading organization specialized in high quality Personal Defence firearms training. We are a no- nonsense gathering place for those who are serious about arming themselves and the proper use of Firearms. Our Instructors are highly trained and certified by the National Rifle Association with over fifty years combined experience consisting of Military, Law Enforcement and a Competitive shooting background. We are also a registered non-profit sporting organization approved by the Commissioner of Police as a Certified Firearms Training Institution with permission to conduct weapons training for citizens of Trinidad & Tobago who posses the necessary FUL/FUEC.
Some of the principles of IDPA are:
- To promote the safe and proficient use of guns and equipment suitable for self- defense use.
- To provide a level playing field for all competitors to test the skill and ability of the individual, not their equipment or gamesmanship.
- To promote separate divisions for equipment and classifications for shooters, so that guns with similar characteristics are grouped together and people with similar skills compete only against each other.
- To provide shooters with practical and realistic courses of fire that simulate a potentially life-threatening encounter or tests skills that would be required to survive a life-threatening encounter.
- To offer a practical shooting sport that is responsive to shooters and sponsors, with unprecedented stability of equipment rules.
- To offer a practical shooting sport that allows the competitors to concentrate on the development of their shooting skills and to fellowship with other like-minded shooters.
Our Accreditations permits us to:
HistoryIn April 2002, IDPA was invited to Trinidad to conduct a Safety Officer course. On completion, successful applicants would now be trained at the required level to conduct shoots in a professional manner with the emphasis on safety. This course was attended by personnel from the Trinidad and Tobago Defense Force, Trinidad and Tobago Police Service, Trinidad and Tobago Prison Service, Trinidad Rifle Association, South Trinidad Rifle Association, Firearms Training Institute Limited, Specialist Shooters Training Center and several members of the public who are holders of the (FUL’s) Firearms Users License. At the end of the course, participants were awarded the IDPA Safety Officers Certificate.
The instructors were so impressed with the standard of professionalism that they invited us to apply for a foreign charter to establish an IDPA in Trinidad. It should be noted that previously there have only been two foreign charters permitted outside of the United States; Canada and Germany. We applied in 2002 with an initial forty- five persons that did the course and after months of background checks and evaluation, we were granted a full charter in November 2003.